Monday, May 11, 2009
New Micro Miniature Project 2, French Country Flower Shop, Paperclay
The top photo shows the Micro Flower Shop with the paperclay as it looked today, after it had dried for a few days. I did get a slight warping on the base, although I had used gloss, it isn't enough to be a problem. As it was drying I could see this happening so I put weight on both sides of the base that really helped. I used my stapler and scotch tape holder, they had the right amount of weight and were handy. The graph paper is four squares to the inch.
I started with a layer of paperclay that I glued with thick glue to the bottom floor first. I wanted tiles of some sort so I pressed a piece of metal mesh screen on the bottom and pulled it off. It worked quite well because I want it to look old. I brushed it with a bit of watered down glue to even the floor out.
Paperclay was used on the walls and then I gave them a brushed finish to look like old plaster with my paint bruch. The photos don't show the finish well yet but they might show up better when I paint it. Paperclay was then glued to the base and I built up the area in front for a bit of a patio and step. Then I textured all of it with a toothpick to make a stone walk way and flag stone areas, that was fun. I will be smoothing them a little more with water and adding paperclay where it cracked and came away from the front of the shop when I do the outside of the shop.
I wanted the front doors to look like French doors so I cut out a piece of shrink art plastic because it is a nice weight and cut tiny strips of wood veneer with a sticky back I bought year ago. I put the vertical stripes on one side and the horizontal on the other side of the doors, painted it with acrylic and placed it in the door opening. My order for doing things is not always the best, LOL, but I really like to just do it rather than think it through too long. If it doesn't work I can always start again.